CLAREMONT BOULEVARD PUBLIC - PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP
At Knowledge Base we are proud to showcase the achievements of our successful clients who continue to make a big difference through the work they do. HHO Africa (www.hho.co.za) is a well established and broad based consulting civil engineering company, recognised for their excellence in planning and design through numerous awards for technical excellence, innovative and environmental sensitivity.
The need to increase infrastructure has escalated in the new RSA while the public financial resources has largely been used for greater needs like housing.
In order to ensure continued upgrading of infrastructure in line with economic development, the Private Sector has come forward to form partnerships with the Public Sector to provide this
needed infrastructure to ensure economic growth.
The Claremont Boulevard scheme has been planned by the City of Cape Town for over 40 years but has not been implemented due to a lack of dedicated funding.
Over this period, Claremont CBD has been a growth point with an ever increasing need for improved public transport.
The Claremont Improvement District Company, formed by mainly businesses in the Claremont CBD, formed a R40 million public-private partnership with the City to construct the Boulevard
and upgrade the public transport facilities, as well as provide improved informal trading facilities. HHO Africa were appointed to design the R22 million Boulevard.
Among the special features of the project were :
HHOAfrica were responsible for the following :
- One of South Africa's largest urban relief road public/private partnerships successfully completed
- The major portion of the road had existing properties that needed demolition
- The area around the transport facilities were to be pedestrian friendly
- Existing services had to be upgraded
- The creation of a Boulevard required extensive landscaping
- Traffic management had to ensure that existing transport operations & businesses were not significantly disrupted
- Civil & Structural Design
- Traffic Planning & Management
- Contract Documentation & Tender
- Contract Administration & Construction Management (including budget control)
- Liaison between role players within the public/private partnership